THE DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE at Western Michigan University was established in 1979 as a natural evolution of the Computer Science Group in the Department of Mathematics. The department has continuously evolved to meet the challenges of Computer Science education and research, and we continue to provide first-class opportunities for students seeking to further their knowledge and skills.
The Department of Computer Science has as its primary mission the advancement of the field of computer science through teaching, research, and service. The Department recognizes the ongoing importance of computer and information technology and the need for developing professional researchers and practitioners in computer science. To remain recognized and actively engaged in its mission, the Department:
– Offers high-quality graduate and undergraduate programs.
– Produces graduates who are professional and prepared to be productive in the field.
– Promotes a high standard of ethics among its graduates.
– Conducts research in the field of computer science.
– Participates in developing computer literacy among students at the University.
– Encourages collaborative research with other disciplines within the University.
– Seeks to develop mutually beneficial relationships with business and industry.